Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Best Possible You

I was watching Joel Osteen the other day. Don’t ask me why – I usually don’t tune into the religious shows. But episode/message really struck home for me.

Joel was talking about having people in your life that will make you a better person, to be the best you possible. And to cut out the people who will drag you down or who don't support you. You don't need people in your life who doubt you. You need people who will encourage and support you. 

Do you have those people in your life? The people who lift you up and just make you feel better when you are around them. They aren't negative all the time. They are genuinely interested in what you do and how your life is going? They don’t give unsolicited advice, but always there when you have a question or a problem. On the flip side, do you have people in your life who are negative? Who all they do is complain about their life, but seem to want you to share in that misery? Who always weigh you down with their baggage.

I admit – I can be the latter at times. I don’t enjoy my job. Some months I struggle to make ends meet. I complain about my ex. But is that the person I really want to be? It isn't.

I want to be the positive person. I want to be the person who can listen to a friend’s problems without getting involved, but can offer a supporting shoulder.  I don’t want to be cut from someone’s life because of my negativity.

So, I am going to work on it. Work on both myself and take a look at the relationships I have in my life. Starting with Facebook. I have “acquaintances” who post pictures about drinking and partying. Yes, they are young, but do I want to be looking at that? Taking that part out, do they really uplift my life? Are they a positive influence on my life? If not, I’m going to unfriend them.

I’ve already left one Facebook crochet group this year because the posts in the group weren’t stimulating me. Yes, it was a group of people who care about each other and talk about their lives, with a little crochet thrown in, but nothing was motivating me to be a better crocheter or business owner. It only encouraged me to to post the bad things in my life, because that's all that people would comment on. So I left. I didn’t make a big deal, say goodbye or anything. I’m not going to bad mouth the group, because they are a terrific group of ladies and gentlemen, but it isn’t for me. it isn’t what I need in my life right now.

Are you willing to take the step? Are you willing to change your life for the better? I hope you say yes. 

Start small. Start with posts on your Facebook feed today. Do you like these posts? Do you get something out of the post? Think about past posts from this person? Are they fun little posts that make you smile? Deep posts that make you think? Posts that make you want to take action? Sad posts that make you somehow feel uplifted? These are good posts. Keep these people in your life. They will motivate you.

Or are they negative posts with no substance to them at all? Do you find yourself just scrolling past these posts? These are bad posts that will do nothing for you.

You can control the people in your life and you can control what you see on your news feed on Facebook.

Just take note of those negative posts. Don’t do anything right now. We aren’t being rash. We are thinking about our choices. Keep a list if you want. Later I will discuss what we are going to do with this list.

Take the step to better your life this year. We are in February. February is a good time to start with action. January’s resolutions are gone and forgotten. February is a short month. A great month for cleaning. Clean your house, clean your life, clean your mind.

I encourage you to go on this journey with me. This is a new journey for me. I’m going to start a life with positive thinking and a positive attitude. I will be the friend my friends want to be with. To have in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment