Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Why Diets Don't Work Today

I had an epiphany today. I wonder why diets don't work. Especially for me.

With all diets I've read about, you need to change your eating habits. Cook nutritious food. In those three words, what is the one word that sticks out? Cook. I do not cook on a regular basis and I honestly do not know a single family who cooks at least 5 days a week. Heck, not even 4 days a week. We live in a world of school activities, after school activities, a full-time and a part-time job. Our cooking consists of popping a ready-made meal in the microwave or reheating leftovers from a fast food restaurant.

So it is a wonder that diets don't work. Most diets tell us not to shop in the "processed" food aisles and buy more "natural" food. And of course, cook it. But who really has time to cook with all the activities we put our kids in? Josh is only in dance with the occasional dance competition and band concert, but he dances 3 days a week. I can't imagine some of these families that have activities every night of the week.  Nonetheless, I do try to "cook" at least on the weekends. During the week we have scrambled eggs, Chef Boyardee, leftovers from the weekend, soup - pretty much anything that can be cooked in a microwave. Except eggs - those are cooked regular. :)  But that needs to change. I need to eat better so my son eats better and learns better eating habits. So, I need to learn how to cook something that isn't out of a box. Have you seen the sodium levels in some of these foods?

First things first - get rid of the food in the apartment. That way I can start from scratch. And start buying new, more wholesome options. Like whole wheat spaghetti.

Let's see how this works. :)

Don't worry. I still have Jimmy Johns on speed dial. And a favorite on the computer.

2 comments:

  1. I find it hard to come up with different foods to eat, but I have been using Pinterest to help make some semi-homemade meals on the weekdays and experimenting on the weekends. It truly is a lifestyle change. Also, I Have nominated you for the Liebster Blog award, I know there are great things to come for you and your blog. http://theaccidentalmilitarywife.blogspot.com/2013/04/im-nominated-for-liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Jen because the pace of life is hectic and more often than not no one feels like cooking when they get home. Look up a video by Nichole Huntsman on YouTube about preparing your entire weeks worth of food on Sunday afternoon. She is founder of Revolt Fitness. I'm actually starting her program tomorrow. Each week has a different menu that you buy for on Saturday and cook/prepare on Sunday and eat through the week. I found you on Naptime Review, btw.

    To find out more visit my blog We Are Earthformed

    ReplyDelete