Friday, January 3, 2014

Friday's Featured Artisan - Stitch 1 Stitch 2

Today's featured Zibbet artisan is Brenda at Stitch 1 Stitch 2 (http://www.zibbet.com/stitch1stitch2).  She sells beautiful knit and sewn items in her Zibbet shop. 

Hand Embroidered Hug Me Baby Bib

How did you get started on Zibbet? 

I started on Zibbet about a year ago. Originally I had a shop on Etsy, and sold a few items, but wasn't making enough money to justify all the fees. I liked Zibbet, because I could set up shop and list for free. I recently upgraded to premium seller because I like Zibbet and decided to make the commitment to stay. 


You knit and sew. How do you balance the needs of these different crafting genres?

I go with the flow. Whatever happens to pique my interest at the moment is usually what I end up working on. Currently I'm working more with the sewing machine because I have the time right now to "hide" (as my husband says) in my sewing area, but I also have a few knitting projects in progress that I can work on when we're watching TV or traveling somewhere. 
 Circular Baby Blanket

I have to ask this - how big is your fabric stash and how big is your yarn stash? 

If you were to ask my husband he would tell you they're both out of control. I used to do a lot of sewing for my kids, so I would buy 3 yards of some cute fabric and decide later what to do with it. Often my kids would outgrow the fabric before I could use it, so over the last couple years I've tried to use up what was left and now I try to only buy what I think I'll use; and that being said, I have to admit to buying 25 yards of denim last year because it was cheap and I have a pretty decent stash of bottom-weight fabrics as I've become obsessed with sewing my own pants.

My yarn stash is pretty much the same. I try to only buy what I'm going to use, but sometimes there's that color or texture that just begs me to buy it. I have a good mix of nice yarns and cheap yarns. If I'm designing something or trying a new technique I'll use the cheap yarns to get a feel for it first. My yarn stash isn't quite as big as my fabric stash, I can fit all of my yarns into a large plastic bin, where my fabrics have pretty much taken over my little sewing corner in the basement.

Do you have a favorite fabric or yarn?

As far as fabric goes, anything that's colorful and eye catching. Thinking about my stash, I guess I work a lot with cotton blends or poly-cotton blends. A favorite yarn, if I'm making something for myself I really like Deborah Norville Everyday yarns. I made a sweater for myself out of her yarn a few years ago and it's my favorite sweater.




I love your Make-up/Tablet bag! Where did you find the inspiration for it?

My daughter. She's much more trendy than I am. I run a lot of my fabric choices by her. I found that fabric on eBay and she fell in love with it. I made her a tote bag using a mix of recycled jeans and that fabric; which was a huge hit among her friends and I had just enough left over for the make-up bag.

Do you take custom orders?

I do, but due to the nature of my real job, I'm only able to take custom orders between November and March. My real job has me to busy to even think about crafting the rest of the year.


Do you sell outside of Zibbet? If so, Where?

Right now Zibbet is the only place I sell. However If someone contacted me through Facebook or another venue, I would be willing to work with them.

Any sales coming up?

Not at the moment. I price my items at already affordable prices.

Any last words for the reading audience? 

I love what I do, and I do it mostly as a stress reliever. Although I know I may never make enough money selling my products to support my family, if I can make enough to support my hobby, I'm good with that.

Thank you, Brenda, for taking the time to answer my questions. Best of luck to you!

If you would like to be a featured artisan, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment